How do i fix the broken FTP structure of freebsd 7.0?

wac waldoalvarez00 at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 07:50:00 UTC 2009

Hi Glen:

--- On Sun, 4/26/09, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: How do i fix the broken FTP structure of freebsd 7.0?
> To: waldoalvarez00 at yahoo.com
> Cc: freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
> Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 7:40 PM, wac
> <waldoalvarez00 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Glen but doing that in a remote computer is
> askin for trouble and I can't step to the risk of having
> that computer trashed (fixing it would cost almost as much
> as renting a new one). Anyway in the forums somebody gave me
> this:
>
> Doing what in a remote machine is asking for trouble?  SSH
> will not be affected.

Installing a new kernel remotely. If the new one does not boots properly then I'm in trouble. Serious trouble. (I do not have local access to the console, all the time over ssh and if i reboot it over webmin just in case i make a mistake reconfiguring ssh)

> ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/7.0-RELEASE/packages/All
> >
> > The problem now is that the package I need is way too
> old. Let's see if i can work out to fix that. Problem is
> it uses perl and perl is used by another package the hosting
> company installed that depends on it. And that I really have
> 0 experience with it so reinstalling a new one means
> downtime. I'll try to modify dkimproxy and see what
> happens. So far the newer version installed with warnings
> but doesn't even start.
> >

> If you need "stability" (production ready), you
> (as the maintainer of
> the machine) are obligated to some extent to keep it both,
> up to date
> and "stable".

Yes and keep it safe from all those attacks i receive 24/7. Problem is upgrade is not an option for me. But that's ok, i removed old perl, old webmin, installed new perl, new webmin, new dkimproxy. Everything went ok since i carefully followed all the steps i simulated in a virtual machine here. And.. Uf. Didn't had to even reboot that one.

> Note:  I use "stable" in quotes to not be
> confused with -STABLE.
>
> AFAIK, 7.0-REL was EOL'd (or is scheduled to be).
> Ports are generally
> guaranteed to be installable on the latest -RELEASE version
> (in this
> case, 7.1-RELEASE).

Now you know it. At least perl from 7-stable, webmin and dkimproxy-1.1 on top of it works just fine on top of the 7.0 release. I tested it, and works great to the point that amazes me.

Anything prior to that is not a