Change in ssh connection behavior with 7.2-PRERELEASE

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Fri May 1 02:22:44 UTC 2009

I'm using an older Supermicro 1U box as my NAT box for my home network; I
also read email on it by logging in remotely using Cygwin's ssh to run
pine.

I've noticed a change in behavior which ocurred when I upgraded from 7.1-STABLE compiled 2/8/2009 to 7.2-PRERELEASE compiled 4/24/2009.

The change is that the system can't display full screens in the Cygwin
window.  The screen gets filled slowly, with long pauses between
successive partial fills.

This seems to only occur when I'm logged in from work using Cygwin SSH
over the Internet to my home box; the final link is via Comcast, if that
makes a difference.

Connecting from witnin my local network, also using Cygwin SSH, no such problem.

Rebooting the old kernel solves the problem.

The work PC is running Cygwin OpenSSH 5.1p1/OpenSSL 0.9.8j (7 Jan 2009);
the home PC is running Cygwin OpenSSH 5.1p1/OpenSSL 0.9.8i (9/15/2008).

The results of "stty -a" under new and old kernels yeilds exactly the same
thing:

speed 38400 baud; 90 rows; 80 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
         -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
         -extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon ixoff -ixany -imaxbel -ignbrk
         brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow
         -dtrflow -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
         eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^H; erase2 = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U;
         lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q;
         status = ^T; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

Mike Squires
mikes at siralan.org