Upgrading from 6.4 to 7.2

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Fri Jul 31 09:42:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:27+0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> With a 6.4 of last night....

Michael Butler contributed a patch where ch->max_iosize was changed
twice to atadev->max_iosize on line 454 in src/sys/dev/ata/ata-all.c.

Either re-cvsup and hope for the best or apply the patch manually.

See
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=407870+0+current/freebsd-stable
for more details if you deleted the email

> So I guess 6.4 -> 7.2 needs to go via 7.0 ??

I'd do a binary upgrade to 7.2-R. gcc doesn't understand the
-Wpointer-sign flag used when compiling RELENG_7_0_0_RELEASE using
6.4-STABLE¹ as of yesterday. I haven't tried to compile RELENG_7 using
the same 6.4-STABLE system, so maybe I'll try that later today.

If src/UPDATING could tell us how to get beyond the unrecognized
-Wpointer-sign, the upgrade process using source would be a lot
smoother.

Trond.

¹ The 6.4-STABLE system mentioned is different from the system I'm
using to send this mail.

Trond Endrestøl                  | Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
ACM, NAS, NUUG, SAGE, USENIX     |      FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE & Pine 4.64