Now doesn't unmount on time

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Fri Jul 31 07:14:45 UTC 2009

Hi FreeBSD community

We are Tomahawk Desktop, trying to make a working desktop OS based on
FreeBSD!

We use FreeBSD 7.2 on i386.

We earlier discussed two crucial issues regarding a desktop OS:
1.http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-July/051231.html
2.http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-July/051136.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-July/009350.html

But it seems above discussions ended without any action.

Now we have another issue, we used amd(8) to automatically mount file
systems (USB and CD especially), the amd mounts without an issue but doesn't
unmount on time. Unmount time is variable and takes more than a minute
sometimes.

I presume there is no other alternative on FreeBSD to mount file systems
other than amd(8).

We want to unmount of an inactivity period of 1 second, we have tried
unmount and utimeout options.

It may be this issue: http://www.am-utils.org/docs/am-utils/attrcache.txt

But that is the status in 2005. What is the situation by now and what is the
solution by FreeBSD?

Btw, the Tomahawk Desktop v1.0 we released in 2005 based on Linux, we did
not encounter such crippling issues.

Kind regards
Sagara