Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 30 09:39:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Matthew Fleming wrote:

> I'm doing a migration from releng/6.1 to stable/7, and one of the many new
> things is that I get a warning when doing things with ng_socket that didn't
> used to happen.
>
> WARNING: attempt to net_add_domain(netgraph) after domainfinalize()

I've wondered about these warnings also, and am not sure they're justified --
any protocol loading after domainfinalize() should expect that timers are
already started, etc, and loadable protocols are clearly desirable.

> - ignore the warning (usually a bad idea...)

Probably remove the warning.  Some more synchronization is likely required in
domain registration than is currently there -- on the other hand, it's
probably not a big issue that it's missing as write operations on the domain
list are conservative and extremely rare.

I've CC'd Max Laier, who added the warnings -- perhaps he could lend some
insight into the types of problems he anticipated.  The main one I'm aware of
is that mutating the domain list on a live system is risky because it's not
well-synchronized -- however, adding domains should be pretty safe in
practice.

Robert