portmaster -R (Was: Re: HEADS-UP: Shared Library Versions bumped...)

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 29 18:48:42 UTC 2009

Alson van der Meulen wrote:
> * Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> [2009-07-29 18:13]:
>> Mel Flynn wrote:
>>> Gotcha. Is there a reason the flags are removed if the options are not "-r or
>>> -f"?
>> Yes, so we don't have stale flags sitting around forever to confuse
>> future runs.
>
> I have been bitten by this in the past. A run of portmaster -r
> some-lib-that-half-of-my-ports-depend-on aborted because of a shared
> library error in a dependency which was not recompiled before the
> dependent port. I recompiled the dependency with a manual portmaster
> $portname, after this portmaster -r had to start all over. I didn't
> expect portmaster to clear the PM_DONE flags during non-resumable
> operations like rebuilding a single port (and the manpage contains very
> little information about -R). My workaround is to use portupgrade for
> these manual fixes.

Yes, I've been considering that exact scenario since atm I'm
rebuilding all my ports with -afR.

How about this? When the user has -[rf] but not -R, and there are flag
files present, ask if they should be cleared before beginning to do
anything. Otherwise (no -[rf]) ignore them. Sound good?

Doug