7.2-release/amd64: panic, spin lock held too long

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 08:54:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:24 AM, C. C. Tang<hiyorin at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have no idea about it but I can tell the difference...
>>> My machine panic randomly rather than on shutdown and I remembered that
>>> it
>>> failed to write core dump. It also failed to reboot automatically..
>>
>> Is your problem on -CURRENT and amd64?
>> At some point there has been a problem with PAT support (and
>> tlb_shootdowns() could lead to a livelock hanging forever, leading to
>> such a bug) but I expect it is fixed now.
>> Can you try with a fresh new -CURRENT if any?
>
> My problem is on i386 version of 7.2-RELEASE-p2 on Intel Atom 330 CPU.
> And my system just panic randomly with "spin lock held too long".
> It didn't panic at reboot or shutdown so I think it the problem is somewhat
> different from that mentioned by Barbara's PR?
>
> Anyway I disabled powerd and it seems become stable now.
>
> And I am sorry that my system has been put into service so it would be hard
> for me to switch to -CURRENT...  :(
>
> Regards,
> C.C.

My problem was essentially the same, completely random "spin lock held
too long" panics not related to reboots or shutdowns, the only
difference was that I was on amd64. I too was running powerd on the
system, but it didn't cross my mind that it could've been the culprit.
Hopefully I will get a chance to test FreeBSD again on the same
hardware at some point, with and without powerd.

Rather sad if powerd is the actual cause, considering that the whole
point of using an Atom-based system is powersaving :(

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov