SCSI device not created upon a CF card plug in

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Thu Jul 23 03:32:18 UTC 2009

Eugene Grosbein writes:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:20:27AM +0800, Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>
>> My questions in this regards are:
>> 1. Is this an error/bug in FreeBSD 7.2?
>
> This is regression from pre-5.x days. In 4.x and earlier,
> you can have static device nodes and access them just fine.
>
>> 2. Or, does it require some configuration tweak?
>
> As a workaround, you should drop cardreader.conf into /usr/local/etc/devd/
> (create directory if it does not exist) with contents like:
>
> attach 1000 {
>         device-name "umass[0-9]+";
>         action "/usr/local/libexec/umass/attach-umass $device-name";
> };
>
> Script /usr/local/libexec/umass/attach-umass is invoked
> when umassX appears:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
> DEV=/dev
> p=`dirname $0`
>
> [ -z "$1" ] && exit 1
> u="$1"
>
> # wait until dust settles
> i=1;
> while [ $i -le 10 ]
> do
>   sleep 1
>   device=`$p/umass2da $u`
>   if [ $? = 0 ]; then
>     : > $DEV/${device}
>     break
>   fi
>   i=$(($i+1))
> done
>
> This script calls /usr/local/libexec/umass/umass2da helper
> to translate umassX to daY (in hope this translation is possible):
>
> #!/bin/sh
> PATH=/sbin:/usr/bin
>
> camcontrol devlist -v | awk -v u=$1 '\
> BEGIN { s = ""; e = 1; }
> $3 ~ /umass-sim[0-9]+/ { s = $3; sub("-sim","",s); }
> /[,(]da[0-9]+.*\)$/ {
>   if(s == u) {
>     match($NF, /da[0-9]+/);
>     print substr($NF, RSTART, RLENGTH);
>     e=0; exit 0;
>   }
> }
> END { exit e; }'

Hi Eugene, thanks for the reply. The issue we discussed is about internal
multi-card readers. For internal multi-card readers, the umassX created at
boot time. If there is media inside at boot time, the device node for slices
are also created. There is no issue about it. But the issue is after boot
up, later some time, if you plug in a media card, FreeBSD does not generate
any devd event. This needs to be fixed at the FreeBSD end, appreciate if the
FreeBSD community actively fix it soon.

Best regards
Sagara