HEADS-UP: Shared Library Versions bumped...

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed Jul 22 20:07:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> В вт, 21/07/2009 в 14:52 -0700, Steve Kargl пишет:
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:45:36PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > >
> > > I have another box (of many) running FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2/amd64 with 2 GB
> > > RAM and a Athlon64 2,2GHz CPU having 800(!) ports installed. Can you
> > > imagine how long this box will be occupied by 'portupgrade -af'? I guess
> > > 'cherry-picking' is the only solution.
> >
> > How many of those 800 ports are actually necessary and used?
> > It would be better to get generate a complete list of your
> > installed ports, use pkg_deinstall or pkg_delete to remove
> > all ports, and then selectively re-install ports that are
> > actually used.
>
> I've found that much faster and cleaner way is to just remove
> whole /usr/local (preserving /usr/local/etc), and /var/db/pkg
>
> and then just install required ports, such process goes much faster.
> Also it removes all unused ports.

I do the same thing.  I wish the ports system kept track of which
ports were installed explicitly by me, and which were only
dependencies.  Then it would be possible to garbage collect ports
that are no longer needed.