HEADS-UP: Shared Library Versions bumped...

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jul 21 21:04:11 UTC 2009

Olivier SMEDTS wrote:
> 2009/7/19 Thomas Backman <serenity at exscape.org>:
>> On Jul 19, 2009, at 20:16, Ken Smith wrote:
>>> The problem is that as of the next time you update a machine that had
>>> been running -current you are best off reinstalling all ports or other
>>> applications you have on the machine. �When you reboot after doing the
>>> update to the base system everything you have installed will still work
>>> because the old shared library versions will still be there. �However
>>> anything you build on the machine after its base system gets updated
>>> would be linked against the newer base system shared libraries but any
>>> libraries that are part of ports or other applications (e.g. the Xorg
>>> libraries) would have been linked against the older library versions.
>>> You really don't want to leave things that way.
>> So, to be clear: a fresh ports tree and "portupgrade -af" after building and
>> installing r195767+ should be enough to solve any problems? (installkernel,
>> installworld, reboot, portupgrade -af)
>
> But there won't be any problem until you do a "make delete-old-libs"
> in /usr/src/, right ?
>
> Olivier
>
>> Regards,
>> Thomas

Real fun this moment. It took appoximately 13 hours on a two socket, 8
core Dell PowerEdge 1950 III at 2,5 GHz with 16 GB RAM for 453 ports to
be recompiled.

I have another box (of many) running FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2/amd64 with 2 GB
RAM and a Athlon64 2,2GHz CPU having 800(!) ports installed. Can you
imagine how long this box will be occupied by 'portupgrade -af'? I guess
'cherry-picking' is the only solution.

FreeBSD 8.0 on AMD64 does have serious performance issues these days,
try to compile a compiler (gcc44, for instance) and watch how bumpy your
X11 or how network traffic on a 'headless' server becomes. Kernel
compilation time has been increased by approx 10 minutes on the 8 core
box with 16 GB RAM since ~ 4 months now. I know, this is a kind of off
topic for the questiojns discussed at the moment, but I guess those
problems and fun are guaranteed for those having lots of ports, FreeBSD
8 running on AMD64 ;-))

Regards,
Oliver