8.0-BETA2 Available

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Sat Jul 18 04:13:35 UTC 2009

On 18/07/09 1:29 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
> # freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.0-BETA2
>
> During this process, FreeBSD Update may ask the user to help by merging some
> configuration files or by confirming that the automatically performed merging
> was done correctly.
>
> # freebsd-update install
>
> The system must be rebooted with the newly installed kernel before continuing.
>
> # shutdown -r now

FreeBSD 7 users who have /usr /var, etc on ZFS should not follow these
instructions exactly. Rebooting into a new kernel with the old userland
ZFS tools will result in the system not being able to mount the ZFS
filesystems and therefore not being able to reboot. [1]

Ari Maniatis

[1] See my more detailed comment at the bottom here:
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2009-07-11-freebsd-update-to-8.0-beta1.html