gstripe problem

Nenhum_de_Nos matheus at eternamente.info
Fri Jul 17 12:07:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, July 17, 2009 07:20, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
>> hail,
>>
>> I have a problem with gstripe on today stable. I created this stripe
>> using a bit more old stable (two weeks tops) and it can't be read on old
>> stable (from 30/12/2008). So I recreated in 8-BETA1 and I could mount
>> and see files. When I tried again on 30/12/2008 stable and todays, on
>> PII machine (i386):
>
> So your problem is that:
>
> a) you created a gstripe array on a recent STABLE (two weeks ago) and it
> was fine
> b) you tried to use it with an old STABLE (30.12.2008.) and it didn't work
> c) you tried to use it with today's STABLE and it didn't work
> d) it works with 8-BETA1
> ?

its quite this. the stripe just vanishes when I try to see it in any
stable. and if I create in stable, a reboot makes it go way :(

> The only thing that comes to my mind is that during your tests you have
> changed the stripe size, making the file system data unusable (and
> unmountable).
>
>> [root at xxx ~]# gstripe status
>>           Name  Status  Components
>> stripe/stripe0      UP  ad4s2
>>                         ad6s2
>
>> mount: /dev/stripe/stripe0 : Invalid argument
>>
>> on 8-BETA1 it works, but can't create stripe on it and use on this
>> stable box though. the stripe already has files ! so anything weird
>> could make me loose my data ...
>
> Are you saying you won't use 8-BETA1 because you fear there may be
> problems with it? If so, you shouldn't worry so much - 8-CURRENT is very
> stable.

I know it is. 8-CURRENT is great really (I use it in other places). my
main concern is that this is a server with mail/dns/dhcp/apache/some other
services I forgot and changing to 8-BETA may need to recompile all things,
and need time I don't have right now ...

can I just update and use all software compiled for 7.1-PRERELEASE ?

thanks,

matheus

--
We will call you cygnus,