upgrading ports without recompiling

Troels Kofoed Jacobsen tkjacobsen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:25:15 UTC 2009

On Monday 06 July 2009 18:57:26 Tom Evans wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 11:04 -0500, Ishmael F.E. wrote:
> > Hi there
> > .
> > ¿How can I upgrade my ports without having to recompile everything?
> > .
> > I allready did
> > # freebsd-update -r 7.2-RELEASE upgrade install
> > # reboot
> > # freebsd-update install
> > .
> > But it didn'nt upgrade the ports, so I tryed
> > # portupgrade -af
> > but it tried to compile everything
> > .
> > I also tried
> > # portsnap fetch
> > # portsnap extract
> > # portsnap fetch update
> > # portupgrade -a --batch -u -P
> > .
> > but it also tried to compile everything
> > .
> > so, ¿how can I upgrade the ports?
> > unfortunatley I don't have time to compile my 64bit system
> > .
> > .
>
> portupgrade will use packages where available with the -P flag, and will
> only use packages with the -PP flag. However, since you say it failed to
> find packages with -P, falling back to recompiling, then it will
> probably fail even more with -PP.
>
> man portupgrade for more details.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Have a look at pkg_upgrade from bsdadminscripts (sysutils/bsdadminscripts).

From man page:
DESCRIPTION
     The pkg_upgrade script allows the updating, installing and replacing of
     packages without using a local copy of the ports tree. Instead most
     required information is listed in an INDEX file that is kept in sync with
     the package server by uma(1).

I found it to be the best solution when still using packages on my laptop.

Best regards
Troels Kofoed Jacobsen