upgrading ports without recompiling

Michael Proto mike at jellydonut.org
Mon Jul 6 17:16:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Ishmael F.E.<sulfurfff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there
> .
> ¿How can I upgrade my ports without having to recompile everything?
> .
> I allready did
> # freebsd-update -r 7.2-RELEASE upgrade install
> # reboot
> # freebsd-update install
> .
> But it didn'nt upgrade the ports, so I tryed
> # portupgrade -af
> but it tried to compile everything
> .
> I also tried
> # portsnap fetch
> # portsnap extract
> # portsnap fetch update
> # portupgrade -a --batch -u -P
> .
> but it also tried to compile everything
> .
> so, ¿how can I upgrade the ports?
> unfortunatley I don't have time to compile my 64bit system

You could use packages provided by the FreeBSD package repositories...

portupgrade -aP

Although those packages will contain the standard port options, which
may differ from your installed ports if you compiled them originally
and changed any of the options screens. If you're looking to upgrade
ports with custom options applied, then rebuilding your ports from
source is your only real option.

-Proto