Replace Cisco IOS/CBOS with freebsd - possible?

Chris H chris# at 1command.com
Thu Jan 29 06:02:52 PST 2009

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

Quoting Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3 at grant.org>:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Chris H <chris#@1command.com> wrote:
>> Hello, and thank you for your reply.
>>
>> While it's not /exactly/ what I was looking for - it's close. :)
>> The "filtering" capability is my biggest gripe on the Cisco
>> *DSL products. They're just not as /capable/ as is offered in
>> FBSD. DNS is another plus (pfDNS). But I don't think I'd be
>> modify pfDNS to accomodate BIND, or unbound. Although tinydns
>> might be able to fit the bill. Oh well, it's close - thanks
>> for the pointer. :)
>
> You can run iptables on openwrt.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of pf(4). I think it's
more efficient - especially combined with all the network tuning that
has been done recently by Robert Watson, John Baldwin, Mohan Srinivasan,
Peter Wemm, and others. Another reason I'm so inclined to be FBSD centric
on this. :)

> You can compile most anything for
> it, you're only limited by it's memory and cpu.  I'm not familiar with
> pfDNS.  But if it runs on freebsd, it probably can be made to run on
> openwrt as well.

Indeed, it's running a FreeBSD base. But like you said; CPU, and Memory
are the only boundries here. Will need to do more research to compare
limits against a /desired/ install base.

Thanks again for the reply.

--Chris