Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Larry Baird lab at gta.com
Wed Jan 28 22:37:12 PST 2009

In article <E1LSPCL-0005KQ-FP at daland.home> you wrote:
> ,--- You/Robert (Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:16:11 -0500) ----*
> | > Now I can use X again BUT... Firefox 3.0.5 is still broken.  It has =20
> | > worked fine until this new Xorg.
> |
> | Firefox not working is one of the symptoms of a botched upgrade.  If you
> | ldd firefox-bin you will likely find that it is linked to both
> | libxcb.so.1 and libxcb.so.2.  This is not good, ensure that everything
> | that depends on libxcb has been rebuilt.
>
> FWIW, firefox3 works for me (just installed it on my desktop).

I also have firefox3 working.  Initially got bitten by not having
"hald_enable" and "dbus_enable" in my /etc/rc.conf.  Adding these made my
mouse work.  Got Nvidia's latest driver (180.25) to fix the
        dlopen: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules//libwfb.so: Undefined symbol
+"miZeroLineScreenIndex"
problem.  Thank you to Nvidia for the fast work. (-:

Initially thought this upgrade was a mistake, until I found out about
"hald_enable" and "dbus_enable".  Upgrade would have be a lot easier if
they were mentioned in /usr/ports/UPDATING.  I would have found these
knobs more quickly if mentioned in HALD(8). or if they had default values
in /etc/rc/defaults/rc.conf.  Did get a laugh out of HALD(8) telling me
how to start and stop hald under Fedora.  Found them by looking at the
startup scripts in /usr/local/rc.d.

My 7.4 xorg install now seems to be rock solid. (-;

Larry