FreeBSD-6.x/7.x 1000BaseTX connection problem

Robert Blayzor rblayzor.bulk at inoc.net
Tue Jan 27 05:50:04 PST 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 3:49 AM, Steven Hartland wrote:
> We have never had a problem with FreeBSD and Cisco using em
> and bge. They do take a while to come up but that's just
> Cisco being Cisco.

By default all ports participate in spanning-tree, which is probably
any delay you're seeing.  You can setup host ports by explicitly
setting them up as access ports and then turning on "spanning-tree
portfast".  That makes the ports come up almost immediately.

I've never had a problem with Intel (em/fxp) or Broadcom (bge/bce)
using auto-neg on any Cisco switch made in the last 8-10 years.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net