Installing packages using ports after freebsd-update doesn't work on amd64

Sorin Panca sorin.panca at psrk.com
Sun Jan 25 03:13:22 PST 2009

Sorin Panca wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> Sorin Panca wrote:
>>> After upgrading the system using freebsd-update from 6.3-RELEASE to
>>> 7.0-RELEASE and after that, from 7.0 to 7.1 trying to install
>>> ports-mgmt/portupgrade fails at ruby18 with the following message:
>> If you haven't already you have to remove and reinstall _all_ of your
>> ports after doing a major version upgrade (6.x -> 7.x).
>>
> Prior to starting the upgrade I did a pkg_delete -a. I wanted a clean
> system (just like a reinstallation). How do I ensure that all packages
> were removed by pkg_delete -a ?
> Running pkg_delete -a returns "pkg_delete: no packages installed"

If you look at my previous posts on this list (from 2007), I was having
this problem since I started upgrading our servers. Therefore,
anticipating your question, this time I took the precaution of
performing the upgrade by following certain steps, to avoid uncontrolled
variables to polute the environment.

The steps I followed were:
1. check if the system has an amd64 FreeBSD installation
2. remove all installed packages by pkg_delete -a
3. freebsd-update: upgrade from 6.3 to 7.0 and reboot
4. freebsd-update: upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1 and reboot
5. install packages from ports.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sorin.