interrupt storm on MSI IXP600 based motherboards

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Thu Jan 22 08:39:53 PST 2009

Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
>>> Yes, I just got another storm, on my ATA controller this time. Ah
>>> well, so much for the idea of disabling unneeded devices!
>>>
>>> -pete.
>>>
>> it's a kind of magic, really. I built a new kernel with KDB and DDB and
>> after 1 day, 13:15 I'm still waiting for storm to arrive. And I added
>> hw.acpi.osname="Linux" to /boot/loader.conf.
>
> Try doing lots of IO and you will get the problem soon. You might
> want to try:
>
> while true; do dd if=/dev/zero of=BAH bs=1M count=1024; sync; done

FWIW, last night I changed the address of the comm port IO in my BIOS.
Then I ran the Bacula regression test suite (lots of IO).  For my
machine, once the interrupt storm starts, it continues.  I do not know
if that happens to everyone.

Since changing the address, I have had no interrupt storms. I have been
running the above IO loop for about ten minutes.

No storm yet (knock on wood).

--
Dan Langille