Broken loader on 7.1-STABLE?

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 21 06:03:10 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 06:22:00PM -0700, John Rushford wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Perhaps mine is a different issue but I ran into this today.
>
> I loaded FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE from a DVD onto an Apple Mac Pro after
> partitioning a drive with bootcamp.  The install went quite well and the
> machine came up with no issues.  I configured networking, X, and got gnome
> working.  I setup cvsup and loaded the STABLE sources, ran make buildworld,
> make kernel, etc...
>
> I attempted to boot into single user to run mergemaster, installworld, etc..
> But the machine will not boot, I now get the following errror and prompt:
>
>     Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad9s1a
>
>     Manual root filesystem specification:
>                                 e.g. ufs:da0s1a
>         ?                   List valid disk boot devices
>         <empty line>        Abort manual input
>
> I input ufs:/dev/ad9s1a to no avail and ? Does not list any other devices.
>
> I've booted from the DVD and gone into Fixit mode and can mount /dev/ad9s1a
> just fine.  I thought that I'd try putting back loader.old on the off chance
> that might solve the problem but, I do not see a loader.old, just loader.
> The kernel.old directory is there.
>
> Any ideas on what the issue might be and how to fix?
>
> Appreciate the help as I'd like to get 7.1-STABLE running on this machine.

Did the kernel probe messages prior to the mountroot prompt indicate that
the appropriate disk controllers were found/probed and that the
disk devices were found on the disk controllers?  The lack of
any devices listed when you asked might indicate a kernel configuration
problem.

Regards,

Gary

P.S. Please do not top post.