7.1 Release and usb keyboard/mouse problems

Andrei Kolu antik at bsd.ee
Wed Jan 21 04:55:16 PST 2009

Martin wrote:
> Am Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:23:09 +1100
> schrieb Tony Maher <tonymaher at optusnet.com.au>:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been running FreeBSD 7 from around 2008-10-20 and experienced
>> the occasional problems with usb mouse and keyboard.  The mouse
>> pointer slowly drift to a corner of the screen and not respond, and
>> the keyboard would become unresponsive. Unplugging and plugging back
>> in fixed the problem. This would happen a few times per week.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I've reported problems like this on -STABLE more than once already.
> Apparently it is a very uncommon problem for the developers. I have to
> say that all my new PCs and the new laptop has problems with USB
> keyboards and mice generally. The laptop (IBM Thinkpad T60p) has the
> most problems, -STABLE switches the USB devices off in intervals of
> about 2h.
>
> I have updated (flashed) my BIOS firmware on this mainboard here
> (Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R rev 2.1) to the recent firmware F4a (it's a
> 6 month old beta release).
>

> The problem worsened now. I cannot get my USB mouse working until I
> reattach it physically. This is not a problem on other OSes, it seems.
>
> During device detection and initialization of uhci/ehci my USB-mouse
> is switched off and does not get power anymore.
>
> I get the same effect on -CURRENT as of yesterday. Mouse is Logitech
> G5, btw.
>
> I tried various USB settings in BIOS. USB mouse support on/off, USB
> legacy device support on/off. What else can I do? This is very annoying.
>
> (I wonder if it can be the source of many problems that people report
> here about umass devices.)

Hi, I have similar problem with Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4- I can't boot from
usb flash drive or usb floppy drive 9times of 10. My APC ups was
recognized only after OS is booted up and usb cable reinserted. Looks
like this is Gigabyte problem only- all other motherboards work without
any usb issues. Bios upgrade does not help. Changing any bios setting
does not help either.