Broken loader on 7.1-STABLE?

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 20 03:12:08 PST 2009

Reuben wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone else was seeing loader (v1.02) break after updating from 7.1-RELEASE to 7.1-STABLE.  After performing the prescribed updating procedure (via the handbook), the system will go through the normal steps and after the boot menu will present the following error:
>
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0
>
> According to the bugbusting page on the FreeBSD wiki there's two issues at work that cause this behavior; patches were committed to HEAD/RELENG earlier last year in Mar and Aug.  Up until now I've never come across this problem in 6.x or 7.0.  In doing a little research I've come across a few older threads via google where it was believed that the problem was caused by improper CFLAGS in make.conf.  I've commented mine out and rebuilt things.. with the same end result.  In fact, if it's any help, my CFLAGS declaration in make.conf is taken verbatim from the /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf.  Furthermore, on selecting option 6 from the boot menu (escape to loader prompt), the system [I'm assuming] crashes displaying a blinking ASCII pattern from which only a hard reboot will work.
>
> FWIW, this is a fairly plain system.. nothing special in sysctl.conf or loader.conf, and the kernel is pretty stock as well (more or less GENERIC with my sound device and pf).
>
> A temporary fix for me was to copy over loader.old to loader in /boot.

I am getting this too - update from RELENG_7 @12 Jan src to 20 Jan and I
have:

panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x511d
from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:959

Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0

Copying loader.old to loader did not work around this for me - I had to
empty loader.conf too.

Here is what *was* in there:

---> begin loader.conf
# Sound
sound_load="YES"
snd_hda_load="YES"

# IPC
kern.ipc.semmni=500
kern.ipc.semmns=500

# CD/DVD DMA
atapicam_load="YES"
hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
--> end loader.conf

At this point I am not sure which if are the bad guys...

The machine is an Asus a8vx.

regards

Mark