Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Pete Carah pete at altadena.net
Mon Jan 19 05:40:03 PST 2009

   Kris writes:
> You and anyone else seeing performance problems should try to work
> through the advice given here:

  > [1]http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/Help_my_system_is_slow.pdf

Well,  all the people in this thread have noticed that WITH NO CONFIG CHANGES f
rom configs
that worked fine in the past, their systems are very slow and/or locking up (mi
ne are both) with
the stable branch sometime (I noticed it sometime in December, but it got worse
 with the release.)
Most were OK in October; mine (I think) were OK in late November - may narrow t
hings down?  Two of my
systems that lock up have no internal visibility when they do (Soekris 4801's r
outing; the only
time-intensive things running are routing (done in irq context) and pflog.  The
se run with 60+
meg ram free.)  These are complete lockups, though I did manage to get a ps out
 of my laptop last
night by waiting 20 _minutes_ for it to start (!).  This is not a generic perfo
rmance problem.  The laptop
had 55 minutes of cpu time in the softdepflush thread after being up about an h
our and 10 mins;
this might give a hint.  I didn't spot LL/RL state threads at the same time bec
ause I didn't know
to.  Now I do.  BTW - the same ps showed 8 or so user-space procs in R state wi
th NO cpu time; the
kernel was hogging all of it for over an hour.
Firefox did indeed trigger this one as someone else noted.  A soekris doing onl
y routing+nat has no such
excuse...  At least PHK was nice enough to note the watchdog in another thread
:-)

-- Pete