System borked: loader stack overflow.

Andrew Lankford lankfordandrew at charter.net
Sun Jan 18 07:38:53 PST 2009

I can't say what version of the loader it is that I'm using, but
(following Peter's advice, thanks), I've tried loader.old (about a week
old) and the latest loader (built yesterday), and both start.  Where
each loader has a problem appears to be reading (include-ing?)
/boot/default/loader.conf .  The spinner spins for a longer time than
usual, and then the loader gives up with the stack overflow.
Fortunately, I still got a prompt and am able to load the latest kernel
acpi and a what few other modules I need to boot successfully and reply
to your emails.

A quick look at /boot/defaults/loader.conf ( version 1.122.2.4
2008/11/24 00:52:26 ) shows
nothing out of the ordinary.

FYI:  I'm using the Windows Vista boot manager with boot1 instead of
boot0, although boot1 doesn't appear to have changed since I first
installed 7.0 on my notebook.

Andrew Lankford