mydns-mysql starts before mysql has finished starting

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 17 12:22:29 PST 2009

Hey Mikael,

Thank you for your feedback.

To find out a port's maintainer, you can look into the makefile
under CVS:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/dns/mydns/Makefile

It looks to be:
MAINTAINER=	ale at FreeBSD.org

If you don't a get a response from this developer, then try
the generic "ports at freebsd.org" address.

As far as fixing the problem, I think a trick might be to do
something like this:

while /etc/rc.d/mysql status = up && mydns == exit failure

You might want to fork off the process to do this so if
mysql hangs then your startup script doesn't hang the
boot sequence waiting for it..

-Alfred

* Mikael Bak <mikael at t-online.hu> [090117 11:38] wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> This is my first post to this list.
> I'm not exactly new to freebsd but I have used GNU/Linux more.
>
> Last week I installed my first FreeBSD 7.1 machine. A base system with
> only mc, mysql and mydns-mysql packages. I installed all from pre
> compiled packages, not from ports.
>
> When I reboot the machine the mysql server is not finished starting
> before mydns tries to start, so it fails leaving me with a not working
> DNS server. I have to manually start mydns-mysql.
>
> As a very ugly fix I have edited the startup script for mydns-mysql and
> added a 10 sec delay.
>
> I wonder what else I can do. Should I perhaps contact the port
> maintainer? How do I reach him/her?
>
> TIA,
> Mikael Bak
> Budapest, Hungary