Simple? Hardware upgrade.

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Jan 14 07:50:54 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 05:28:45PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 14/01/2009 16:34 Jorge Biquez said the following:
> > b) If is possible to "clone" the same installation to a new faster disk
> > (like a sata 250GB). I know I can install a /.x version and for sure
> > will work but here the idea is to have things running as usual without
> > problems. This installation is very stable and secure and has been with
> > us for years.... we would like to keep it working for more years.... :=)
>
> Somewhat tangential - are you sure that a new faster disk would really
> perform faster on that old PIII system? Even if you use an expansion
> card (which itself might require updates to kernel, ata driver at
> least), PCI bus speed will stay limited to the same old value.

The PCI bus should still be much faster than his old disk, so there is almost
certainly room for improvement.
(The latest generation of harddisk, on the other hand, are fast enough that
a standard 32-bit/33MHz PCI-bus can actually be a bottle-neck.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se