FreeBSD 7.1 Breaks re and rl Network Interface Drivers

Bartosz Stec admin at kkip.pl
Wed Jan 14 06:41:33 PST 2009

Walter Venable pisze:
> FreeBSD 7.1 upgrade broke my network access, machine is totally
> offline (powered-on and I can play inside it at the terminal, but
> absolutely 0 network access):
> This happened AFTER make kernel but BEFORE make installworld.  I think
> this implies it's a kernel driver issue.
>
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=1323 (this is an ongoing
> thread on the issue, the rl driver has also been reported broken).

I can confirm issues with re and 7.1-R

dmesg:
re0: <RealTek 8169SC/8110SC Single-chip Gigabit Ethernet> port
0xbc00-0xbcff mem 0xfbfff000-0xfbfff0ff irq 17 at device 7.0 on pci1
re0: Chip rev. 0x18000000
re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000

In my case this NIC works, but lags like hell after upgrade! Working on
console gives me pauses every 3-4 second, and second server which
connect to this one with re0 is reporting that communication is lost
every couple of minutes

--
Bartosz Stec