Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Wed Jan 14 06:16:44 PST 2009

> effect on control flow, unlike, say, WITNESS, which significantly distorts
> timing.  Is there any chance you picked up any of the recent fixes that went
> into RELENG_7 without noticing, and that perhaps one of those did it?  With

I'm pretty certian of that - I hav just been changing kernel config
files, I havent actually csup'd at all.

> regard to what to do: if you didn't pick up a fix without noticing, yeah, I
> think it's worth testing the hypothesis that BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER fixed (or at
> least, masked) the problem.

OK. I think I need at leats 4 kernels to try here: GENERIC (which should
show the problenm), my original DEBUG (which also shows the problem) plus
both of those with BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER included to see if that fixes it. Can
I just add BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER on its own to a config file ? I was wondering
if I need to include one of the other debugger options so that it has
something to break to ?

> FWIW, I suspect the various reports we are seeing reflect more than one
> problem, and that they must be relatively edge-case individually but reports
> of a few problems have lead to more "coming out of the woodwork".  Obviously,
> the problems are not edge-case to the people experiencing them...

I was thinking that too - I've been guilty of this in the past too, lumping
my problem in with others under the asusmption that it's all the same. This
is onbiously pretty rare - out of 24 of the HP servers the problems only crops
up on 4 of them. But there is nothing dfferent about those 4.

I will let you know what my various kerenl compiles give me - am buolding
again from scratch, which is slow with WITNESS enabled.

-pete.