Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 12 16:05:04 PST 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Tomas Randa wrote:

> I have similar problems. The last "good" kernel I have from stable brach,
> october the 8. Then in next upgrade, I saw big problems with performance. I
> tried ULE, 4BSD etc, but nothing helps, only downgrading system back.
>
> Now I am trying 7.1-p1 and problems are here again. Mysql is waiting a lot
> of time with status "waiting for opening table" or "waiting for close
> tables"
>
> I have 32bit FreeBSD with PAE, 1x xeon 5420, supermicro motherboard, areca
> SATA controller. Could not be problem in "da" device for example?

So far, this sounds like a different problem than the one others have been
posting about, which involves full system freezes rather than specific
processes wedging or responding poorly.  I'd suggest starting by using
"procstat -k" on the process ID to look at where specific threads are waiting
in the kernel.  Is it simply that MySQL is being unreasonably slow in certain
situations, or does it actually entirely stop operating?

If you're able to narrow down the date on the 7.x branch where the problem
you're experiencing "begins", that would be most helpful.  I'd suggest leaving
your userspace on the 8th october, and sliding the kernel forward in a binary
search until you've narrowed it down a bit.  Obviously, this takes a bit of
patience, but narrowing it down could be quite informative.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge