rc.d/mountd: confusing message (and behavior?)

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Sat Jan 10 07:24:43 PST 2009

> Alsp, should it actually fail like this?  I have ZFS and I plan to do
> all NFS exports from ZFS, so /etc/exports would never be used.

ZFS writes its own exports file to '/etc/zfs/exports' - as far as I can
tell this is pretty much all that happens when you mark a filesystem
as NFS shared under ZFS. Then mountd is started from rc like this:

	/usr/sbin/mountd -r -n /etc/exports /etc/zfs/exports

(thats taken from 'ps' on one of my running systems)

So you still need an empty /etc/exports to be there. ZFS will take
care of managing it's own exports file, but thats all it seems to
do - there is no magic ZFS seperate implementation of NFS as far as
I know.

-pete.