more marvell marvels

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Fri Jan 9 03:48:26 PST 2009

hi, the mb is asus P5K-VM, the onboard nic is, acccording to pciconf:

mskc0 at pci0:1:0:0:       class=0x020000 card=0x81f81043 chip=0x436411ab
rev=0x12 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
    device     = '88E8056 Yukon PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
    cap 01[48] = powerspec 3  supports D0 D1 D2 D3  current D0
    cap 03[50] = VPD
    cap 05[5c] = MSI supports 1 message, 64 bit
    cap 10[e0] = PCI-Express 1 legacy endpoint

nothing new here, problems have been reported before, but:

my very first attempt - after a very long time - of booting 7.1-stable,
produced
a panic because msk could not find its physio, by the time i had the serial
console
attached and working, that problem disappeared :-(
now, after reboot, it sometimes hangs - because the net is not working, and
only if
I unplug the ethernet, (no signs of the driver seeing this), and replug things
begin
to work. btw, i had to set
	 hw.msk.legacy_intr="1"
to get things working.