igb on a Nehalem system, buildworld stats

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 01:16:00 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Mars G Miro <spry at anarchy.in.the.ph> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Mars G Miro <spry at anarchy.in.the.ph>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Jack Vogel <jfvogel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Well, I am at Intel you know, and even we don't seem to have any systems
> >> with
> >> 82576 down in my group here. The way link works I can be about 99.9%
> sure
> >> in saying its not the driver. Its preproduction so there are lots of
> >> possibilities,
> >> and the biggest problem is its going to be difficult to help when I
> don't
> >> have any
> >> such hardware :(
> >>
> >> I've heard from the 1G product team that they have seen EEPROM
> mismatches
> >> on systems that will result in things not working in funny ways.
> >

> > Jahh, I've seen those but not w/ Intel NICs. I believe it was from
> > Broadcom on some IBM x3455? (IIRC) and it was indeed quite amusing ;-)
> >

> >> If you have a back to back connection to another NIC on Port 0, no
> switch,
> >> does
> >> it still autoneg to 100?
> >>

> Connected back to back w/ another box w/ a GigE NIC, it now does
> 1000baseTX:
>
> igb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>        options=19b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4>
>        ether 00:30:48:c5:db:e2
>        inet6 fe80::230:48ff:fec5:dbe2%igb0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>         inet 192.168.70.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.70.255
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseTX <full-duplex>)
>        status: active
>
> But still not without problems. I hafta ifconfig down/up it several
> times until I can see the other end. W/c is the same for igb1.

OK, so you have some switch issue.  What do you mean "see the other end",
if its back to back and boots up I assume it gets link, if you have the
address
assigned in rc.conf, and you run tcpdump on the partner do you see the arp
when it comes online, and at that point can the other side ping it?

Oh, and what is the link partner hardware?

Jack