Problems with network in jail

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jan 8 05:53:23 PST 2009

Spil Oss <spil.oss at googlemail.com> wrote:
 > Thanks a lot! Will read up on that. (luckily I do speak
 > german/swiss-german). From discussions on ##FreeBSD IRC I learned that
 > it is not recommended to use lo0 for jails!

Why would that be not recommended?

In fact I think it is a very good idea to use lo0 addresses
for jails, for security reasons, because they're guaranteed
to not leave your local system.  Therefore you have full
control of what the process within the jail can do.

If you want to grant specific network access to a jail
(incoming or outgoing, or both), you add appropriate "fwd"
rules to IPFW.

Best regards
   Oliver

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
        -- John William Chambless