Panic in RELENG_7_1 with fxp(4)

Brandon Weisz lists at avioc.org
Wed Jan 7 16:08:52 UTC 2009

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:

> I think the panic message you posted below is not related with
> fxp(4). Show me panic message for fxp(4), that would be more
> helpful to narrow down possible cause of issue.
> BTW, are you using non-standard compilation flag or customized
> kernel? Since there are lot of systems that still rely on fxp(4)
> I wonder how this issue is not reported yet.
> Did GENERIC kernel also show exact the same behaviour?

Hi Pyun,

As suggested, the GENERIC kernel did not panic.  After a few more tests,
the culprit appears to be:

device		puc

With puc(4) removed, the system is running on 7.1-RELEASE kernel with
the fxp(4) card operating as expected.  For now I'll be shelving the
cheap pci serial card.

If anyone wishes to investigate this further I'm happy to continue testing.

Thank you very much for your help.

Brandon