Samsung SCX-4200 printer

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 5 22:44:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 05:44:03PM +0100, Erwan David wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 05:36:35PM CET, Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> said:
> > On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 23:14:22 +0100
> > Harald Weis <hawei at free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to install the SCX-4200 printer on a FreeBSD box ?
> > > The printer is delivered with the install software required for Linux.
> > > And CUPS does not seem to "know" it.
> >
> > As always, check OpenPrinting.org first:
> > http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-SCX-4200
> >

> It is not always sufficient. My Brother DCP-540 CN is said to work
> perfectly, but only with brother binary linux drivers, under linux. I
> did not find any way to make it work under freeBSD.

This should be a FAQ: do yourself a favor and get a printer that
supports postscript. It will work with little effort with most
UNIX-based program (because they usually support postscript output) and
with most spoolers.

A postscript printer is probably a bit more expensive than others, but
if your printer doesn't work it doesn't matter how affordable is was; it
is just an expensive paperweight.

Roland