slow zvol performance compared to files on the same pool

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 08:33:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 7:02 PM, David Ehrmann <ehrmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Snow wrote:
>>
>> On 7.x (where ZFS is really quite broken for server use - don't waste too
>> much time on it)
>
> How exactly is it broken?  I know there are some issues, but so serious
> you'd say it's broken?

It's not "broken" on 7.1, it just requires manual tuning and
monitoring.  Preferably, it should only be run on amd64 systems with
lots of RAM, but it can be run on i386 systems with at least 2 GB of
RAM (some people have it running on 32-bit systems with less RAM).

ZFS in 8-CURRENT is a more recent version (v13 I believe, while 7.1 is
v6), and has a bunch of auto-tuning features, along with a much higher
kmem_size_max setting (512 GB vs 2 GB I believe).

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com