vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed with vm.kmem_size="1536M"

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sat Feb 28 15:01:34 PST 2009

In the last episode (Feb 28), Pete French said:
> So, I have a farm of machines runnign 7.1/amd64, all of which have 16 gig
> of memory in them.  This afternoon, as an experiment, I altered
> loader.conf to have these two lines in it:
>
> vm.kmem_size="1536M"
> vm.kmem_size_max="1536M"
>
> This is what I do on machines running ZFS - these machines are not,
> however running ZFS, and do not have the zfs module loaded.  I just wanted
> to see if they would run OK with those kernel settings (as I may put ZFS
> on them in the future)

You've probably reduced kmem_size from the default.  I don't set anything on
my 6 GB amd64 system, and I get:

$ sysctl vm.kmem_size vm.kmem_size_max
vm.kmem_size: 2061496320
vm.kmem_size_max: 3865468109

I assume your 16GB system would default to even larger numbers.  What values
do you get without forcing anything in loader.conf?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com