ZFS root File System

Dillon Kass lists at loveturtle.net
Sat Feb 28 06:26:48 PST 2009

Xin LI wrote:

> Dr. Aharon Friedman wrote:
>
> (note the fact that
> / can not be easily rolled back to previous state using ZFS's snapshot
> feature, and can not be easily switched between clones

I actually keep a full minimal install on my UFS /bootdisk slice (which
i use geom mirror for) and then symlink /bootdisk/boot to /boot on the
ZFS /. This way should I ever need to rollback ZFS / I can quickly
change the vfs.root.mountfrom to /dev/mirror/gm0 and then have a base
system living entirely on UFS. If you do it that way you can easily
rollback your ZFS / should you need to and then just reboot back to the
ZFS / when you're done.

Cheers,
Dillon