Old /etc files back, or cvs error?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Feb 27 14:36:19 PST 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Doug Barton wrote:

> Warren Block wrote:
>
>> mergemaster adds a *lot* of old files in /etc that were not there in
>> 7.1-RELEASE.  (Remember the rc.d rework?  Like that.)  For example, a
>> bunch of bluetooth files and /etc/isdn/*.
>
> That is definitely not the outcome you should have ended up with.

I should have been more careful in watching what was going on.  It
wasn't adding files, just "updating" files that only differed in version
strings.  A test system showed that as of now, there's somewhere around
325 files in /etc like that.  That's not counting files which will
probably be different like /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group, or the
sendmail files which are customized with "built by" messages.

(The differing file version strings are due to the svn to cvs export, as
explained by Erik Trulsson.)

> If that doesn't work, please script your mergemaster session and send
> us the output.

I did save both a full session and a cleaned list of files from a test
system built with 7.1-RELEASE and updated to 7-STABLE:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/freebsd-7-stable/

Only after manually creating that list of files did it occur to me that
there ought to be a way to skip files that differ only in version
strings, and that mergemaster should have that.  And *then* I finally
checked the man page for mergemaster, where the mysterious -U option is
described.

mergemaster -U works fine.  Had I only been lazy enough to look it up
beforehand...

The mergemaster man page doesn't tell how mergemaster detects "files
that have not been user modified", so I'm not sure how safe -U really
is.  If it's safe for everyday users, then the second mergemaster
step in the standard updating procedure in the Handbook should include
the -U.

The svn/cvs/version string thing sure looks like a bug, but no doubt
fixing it is easier said than done.