ural driver stalls under FreeBSD7.1

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 26 18:04:18 PST 2009

Bengt Ahlgren wrote:
> Weongyo Jeong <weongyo.jeong at gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 01:20:36PM +0900, Nathan Butcher wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54-AI wireless USB adaptor.
>>> It has been malfunctioning for quite a while under FreeBSD7.0 and 7.1
>>>
>>> Typically, It works for a while until eventually it stalls data
>>> transfers completely. It always seems to do this after an unspecified
>>> amount of time.
>>>
>>> I know the hardware isn't at fault because the device works fine under
>>> Linux.
>>>
>> Could you please check that `ifconfig <ifname> -bgscan' disabling the
>> background scan helps your symptom?
>>

> The above sounds like the same problem as this:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2009-February/011376.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2009-February/011343.html
>
> The problem is in the background scanning logic in sys/net80211.

I don't see how you come to this conclusion.  ural is a totally
different driver than ath and so far as I can recall you never found the
cause for your problem w/ ath.  Most of the usb wireless drivers do a
haphazard job of synchronizing async tasks like bg scan with the
foreground tx/rx processing.  This can lead to firmware and/or usb
issues.  ath does not have these issues but I am aware of at least one
problem w/ bg scanning in ath under RELENG_7 (that is not present in HEAD).

    Sam