7.1 Release and usb keyboard/mouse problems (and Xorg)

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 21 20:15:03 PST 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 12:30 +1100, Tony Maher wrote:
> Tony Maher wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been running FreeBSD 7 from around 2008-10-20 and experienced
> > the occasional problems with usb mouse and keyboard.  The mouse pointer
> > slowly drift to a corner of the screen and not respond, and the keyboard
> > would become unresponsive. Unplugging and plugging back in fixed the
> > problem.
> > This would happen a few times per week.
> >
> > However after I upgraded to 7.1-RELEASE-p2, I now get this problem
> > every few hours if idle (hard to know exactly when it occurs since i am
> > not at keyboard) and a few minutes if doing a background compilation.
> > The keyboard often shows one of the LEDs constantly flashing at high speed.
> > Unplugging and replugging often does not work and needs to be done
> > several times (and use a different usb port).
> >
> > I saw some email reports and tried in /boot/device.hints
> > hint.atkbd.0.disable="1"
> > hint.atkbdc.0.disable="1"
> >
> > No change.
> >
> > Tried a different mouse and it would continue to work but my normal mouse
> > would disconnect.  Tried an identical keyboard and it exhibited the same
> > problem ruling out a bad keyboard.  I then tried another keyboard and
> > have not had any problem since.
> >
> > The main thing I can see different is the working keyboard is a Logitech
> > and the two problematic keyboards are (very) cheap noname keyboards.
> > Both the mice are Logitech but the mouse that has problems is very old
> > (from around year 2000 - model M-BA47).  The working mouse is newer but
> > still fairly old (Model M-UV96).
> >
> > The box is a amd64 with Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  E6750  @ 2.66GH
> > 4GB RAM and motherboard is Intel DP35DP.
> >
> > So my setup now appears to be fine.  If anyone is having similar problems,
> > I suggest trying  different (more modern) mice/keyboards.
>
> Unfotunately things got worse after more port upgrades.
> With Xorg 7.4 and gnome could not even get the logon screen - just a busy cursor.
> The Xorg.0.log had a message like
>   (EE) Logitech USB Keyboard: cannot open "/dev/ukbd0"
>   (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Logitech USB Keyboard"
>   (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
> which made me think this was the problem.  However I now have everything
> working fine and still get this message.

This should generally be harmless.  It is because kbdmux has already
grabbed ukbd and then hald is advertising the ukbd device to xorg.  xorg
fails to open the device, but is still talking to it via kbdmux.

> Reverting X and gnome back and applications like xterms were slow
> to start up plus mouse was slow to respond.  Tried lots of options but in the end gave
> up and went for a clean install of 7.1 (First time I have ever had to do this
> in over 10 years of using FreeBSD!)
>
> Everything worked pretty good.
> Did a cvsup and upgraded everything and all works fine.
> The only problems I did encounter were/are:
>
> 1. my xorg.conf options were ignored
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>        Driver      "kbd"
>    Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier  "Mouse0"
>        Driver      "mouse"
>        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection
>

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows
>
> (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd' or 'mouse' will be disabled.
>
> Not sure why this is. Man page says
>    Option "AllowEmptyInput" "boolean"
>              If  enabled,  don't add the standard keyboard and mouse drivers,
>              if there are no input devices in the config  file.   Enabled  by
>              default if AutoAddDevices and AutoEnableDevices is enabled, oth-
>              erwise disabled.  If AllowEmptyInput is on,  devices  using  the
>              kbd or mouse driver are ignored.
>
> It is not set in my xorg.conf and neither are Auto* directives.
> ~:255 egrep 'Auto|Allow' /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf
> ~:256

These are on by default now and the server uses hald to detect keyboard
and mouse.  If you don't want to use hald, set Option "AutoAddDevices"
"off" and it will use your configured devices.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD