xmodmap and Xkeyboard interaction

Claus Assmann freebsd+stable at esmtp.org
Wed Feb 18 17:05:57 PST 2009

I have a problem with xmodmap on a fresh FreeBSD 7.1 installation
(Dell Latitude D830).  My .xmodmap file looks like this:

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Control = Control_L
keycode  22 = backslash bar
keycode  51 = BackSpace BackSpace Delete underscore
keycode  49 = Escape asciitilde grave bar
keycode  113 = grave asciitilde
pointer = 1 2 3

That is, besides the "usual" Caps/Ctrl swap I also swap Backspace
and "\|" as well as some other keys. This worked fine in "old"
FreeBSD (X) versions, i.e., before FreeBSD 6.x. In FreeBSD 6.2 I
first noticed that "Shift Backspace" does not produce "|" but "\".
After some hacking I found that I could make it work again by using

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "XkbDisable"    "true"
EndSection

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Trying the same trick in 7.1 does not
work at all, several things break, including function keys,
key repetition, etc.

Question: is there a way to make xmodmap work for Shift-Backspace
properly in FreeBSD 7.1?

If not, do I need to use XKEYBOARD or is there a simpler way to
achieve my keyboard remapping goals (so it looks like a "standard
UNIX" keyboard)?

PS: please reply to the list if possible. Thanks!