Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 18 02:06:55 PST 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 05:38 PM 1/29/2009, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Pete French wrote:
>>
>>> I have a number of HP 1U servers, all of which were running 7.0 perfectly
>>> happily. I have been testing 7.1 in it's various incarnations for the last
>>> couple of months on our test server and it has performed perfectly.
>>>
>>> So the last two days I have been round upgrading all our servers, knowing
>>> that I had run the system stably on identical hardware for some time.
>>
>> For those following this other than Pete, who I've been in private
>> correspondence with: it seems that he is running into two different
>> deadlocks in the routing code.  One of them (at least) is triggered by a
>> lock order problem relating to the processing of ICMP redirects -- uncommon
>> in most configurations, but quite a few on his network, which triggers
>> quickly under load.  Kip Macy has corrected at least one (both?) problems
>> in head, and plans to MFC the fixes in the near future.  We'll follow up
>> further once the fixes are merged, and if any further problems transpire.
>
> Do you have any other details about these issues ? Were the fixes ever MFC'd

Hi Mike, et al,

I gave Kip a ping about MFCing the fixes and he said he would do that, but has
apparently been preoccupied.  I'm working on an MFC patch currently, but as
I'm not all that familiar with the routing code, and the bug fixes were mixed
with feature enhancements in his original commits, it will probably take me a
bit longer to produce a candidate patch.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge