HEADS UP: Major CAM performance regression

Jan Mikkelsen janm at transactionware.com
Mon Feb 16 22:21:21 PST 2009

Hi Scott,

I just tried this on 7.1-p2 with an Areca (arcmsr) controller with SATA
drives attached to see if it fixed the performance problem I noticed
back in December 2008.  See:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=43971+0+archive/2008/freebsd-stable/20081207.freebsd-stable

The performance is still terrible.  Interestingly, running your
camcontrol command returns "device openings" of 1 on 7.1, and 255 on
6.4, so it seems to be the same underlying problem.

I am happy to try other patches.

Thanks,

Jan Mikkelsen