csup permissions issue + truss core dump

Galen Sampson galen.sampson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 15:41:06 PST 2009

All,

I am running 7.1-RELEASE-p2.  I use csup to update my base source tree
and my ports tree.  I want to be able to update my sources while running
as a user that doesn't own the files being updated.  I have /usr/ports
set as a symlink to /home/port_builder/ports.  The files there are owned
by the user "port_builder" and group "port_builder".  I then add my user
to the "port_builder" group.  When I run csup I see the following output
when a file is changed:

Updater failed: Cannot install
"/home/port_builder/ports/audio/last.fm/#cvs.csup-14913.1" to
"/home/port_builder/ports/audio/last.fm/Makefile": Operation not permitted

However if I mv the #cvs.csup-14913.1 to Makefile as the same user this
works just fine.

To debug the problem I tried to run csup under truss.  This did not work
as expected as truss dumps core when the permission denied occurs and
generates no output to help.

To debug the truss core dump I tried the following:

 cd /usr/src/usr.bin/truss;
 make CFLAGS="-g -pipe" depend
 make CFLAGS="-g -pipe"
 gdb -core ~/truss.core truss

Unfortunately the backtrace is garbled:
 > gdb -core ~/truss.core truss
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...

warning: exec file is newer than core file.
Core was generated by `truss'.
#0  0x28113199 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x28113199 in ?? ()
#1  0x0000000c in ?? ()
#2  0x00003989 in ?? ()
#3  0xbfbfe7b8 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#5  0x28202000 in ?? ()
#6  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#7  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#8  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#9  0xbf4fa000 in ?? ()
#10 0x37382332 in ?? ()
#11 0xbfbfeac8 in ?? ()
#12 0x08049ea5 in get_string (pid=0, offset=0x37382332, max=-1085300736)
    at syscalls.c:475
Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb)

Can anyone else reproduce the problem with truss?  Is what I am trying
to do supported by csup?

Regards,
Galen