CFT: ath hal src switchover

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Wed Feb 11 15:09:27 PST 2009

Bengt Ahlgren wrote:
> Uwe Laverenz <uwe at laverenz.de> writes:
>

>> Sam Leffler schrieb:
>>

>>> those changes.  To do this you must have an up to date RELENG_7 code
>>> base and then apply this patch:
>>>
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~sam/ath_hal-releng7.patch
>>>
>>> Then rebuild your kernel.  There should be no changes to user apps.
>>>
>> I tested this on a Thinkpad R51 / RELENG_7 / Atheros 5212 and I see no
>> problems with the patch. It builds and runs fine and doesn't seem to
>> do anything harmful. :)
>>
>> I have a problem with this machine though (with or without your
>> patch): the wireless connection seems to be stalled every few
>> minutes. If I try to send some traffic over ath0 or make wpa_cli
>> reconnect it comes back for another few minutes.
>>
>> The only cure for now seems to be "ifconfig ath0 -bgscan".
>>

> That sounds like it can be the same symptoms as I described on the
> freebsd-mobile list earlier this week:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2009-February/011343.html
>
> What clockrate do you run at?  On my system (Thinkpad X40, Atheros
> 5212) the problem does not occur at kern.hz=1000, but it is present at
> kern.hz=100.
>
> Tomorrow evening I will investigate this further including testing if
> "ifconfig ath0 -bgscan" makes a difference for me.

There are many many changes to the ath driver in head that are not in
stable.  If I can get confidence in the hal backport I can try to bring
back some of those.  But I need to do things in the proper order; I
can't backmerge a bunch of stuff, find something is broken, and then
have to bisect changes.  So people need to help get the hal code in
place first.

    Sam