Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 9 22:07:25 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 23:30 +0000, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Robert Noland wrote:
> > Ok, that is odd... Once drm is loaded and X opens it, the ddx driver
> > should request that the irq handler be installed.  At that point, dmesg
> > should show something resembling the following.
> >
> > vgapci0: child drm0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
> > info: [drm] AGP at 0xc0000000 256MB
> > info: [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20080730
> > drm0: [ITHREAD]
> >

> Yes, I normally see output similar to this when X is started.

> > Does the issue still occur if drm is disabled?
> >

> Just tried disabling DRM w/ 'Options "DRI" "off"' in Section "Device".
> DRM is indeed disabled -- no dmesg output and not loaded by X.
>
> However the problem is still there.
>
> BTW: This Radeon card does have MSI capabilities according to lspci,
> however they do not appear to be enabled either by FreeBSD or by X. I
> was about to point the finger at interrupt filters, however that blows
> that theory out of the water.
>
> FWIW the IBM T43 here has an i915GM, and USB is working just fine and
> dandy. The main data point which sticks out is the fact that the
> affected machine is amd64.
>
> Now that DRM has been disabled on my box, this would point the finger at
> the X userland.
>
> I don't see any obvious nasties in my Section "Device", although I do
> pass a BusID and BusType to prevent X from trying to use the second head
> with RandR (lots of pain with fubar DVI cables when I first purchased
> the monitor).
>
> I skimmed pci_user.c, thinking libpciaccess just thunks to it via
> /dev/pci, it appears there's no instrumentation there I can turn on to
> see what userland is actually frobbing.

Ok, lets try another test...  There is a scanpci util in the
libpciaccess port.  We don't install it, but it does get built.  Build
the port and run scanpci -v as root from the console.  That should poke
all the pci devices on the box and tell you about them.  See if that is
able to trigger the issue.

robert.