Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 9 11:26:23 PST 2009

Robert,

First, thanks for all your dedicated work so far on the Xorg ports.

I realize this upgrade has been somewhat fraught with unexpected issues.

FWIW, things are not greener on the Linux side of the fence; many Ubuntu
and Debian users have reported issues with the newer Xorg and in
particular hald.

Robert Noland wrote:
>> I still see the USB symptoms with xorg-server port as of today -- forced
>> rebuild with libpciaccess also. So amd64 is still regressed -- USB is
>> totally unusable there after X is started. My theory was that somehow
>> Xorg was stomping on the USB controller registers on this machine. The
>> USB controller on this box is ALi, card=0x81561043.
>>

> Is your usb sharing interrupts with the video card?

Yes, it appears so. This is an ASUS Vintage AH-1, uniprocessor amd64 box
w/ioapic enabled

from devinfo -r (abbreviated):
ohci0 17
ohci1 18
ohci2 19
ehci0 23

lspci -v jibes with devinfo -r -- the primary head got IRQ 18, the
secondary IRQ 255.

It appears msk0 is also sharing IRQ 18, though I haven't seen any
problems with networking; mskc0, however, is then configured to use MSI
(pseudo IRQ 256, 258), it is a PCI-e device.

When the system starts, the drm module has not been loaded, so the
Radeon (Sapphire X550) card hasn't been allocated its IRQ by FreeBSD.

After X starts, glxinfo and glxgers work fine. kldstat reports drm.ko
and radeon.ko got loaded by X as I would expect. I still see no IRQ
allocated for the radeon, either in dmesg output or in devinfo -r,
however, vmstat -i does show drm0 as sharing IRQ 18.

At this point, I rebooted and tried manually resetting the BIOS ESCD
table, unfortunately the BIOS on this machine won't let me tie IRQs down
to particular devices.

> Does the issue occur if you aren't using a usb mouse?

I see the USB problems regardless of the kind of USB devices plugged in,
I continue to use a PS/2 mouse on the desktop as a workaround.

I see the bump on devel/libpciaccess re typo of rombase, and forced a
rebuild of xorg-server against the patched libpciaccess library
(probably not needed, as the .so ABI didn't change).

The USB problem is still present, unfortunately.

thanks,
BMS