Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 8 21:31:36 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 02:08 +0000, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> > S.N.Grigoriev wrote:
> >> I thank you for your response. I've applied the patch to pci.c from
> >> kern/130957. Unfortunately there are no positive results. USB is still
> >> unreachable with X.
> >
> > Just following up to confirm that you are seeing exactly the same
> > symptoms with USB and Xorg 7.4 as I see on my amd64 desktop running
> > 7-STABLE from 00:00 UTC on this Wednesday.
>
> I still see the USB symptoms with xorg-server port as of today -- forced
> rebuild with libpciaccess also. So amd64 is still regressed -- USB is
> totally unusable there after X is started. My theory was that somehow
> Xorg was stomping on the USB controller registers on this machine. The
> USB controller on this box is ALi, card=0x81561043.
>
> My i386 laptop (IBM/Lenovo T43) is not affected, and USB mice work just
> fine there.
>
> Obviously it's difficult to check what Xorg is actually doing to the
> registers on the box w/o a PCI bus analyzer, and of course due to normal
> decoding, those cycles probably won't be seen on the backplane itself as
> it sits behind a bridge; I haven't fully read what libpciaccess is doing.
>
> I skimmed patch-src-freebsd_pci.c. I wonder if this code may be stomping
> on the USB controller in some way (i.e. how it frobs the BARs).

Until last night, it only probed pci resources for pci class DISPLAY
subclass VGA.  The rom reading was restricted to 0xc0000/0x10000, which
it mmap and copied out to a userland buffer.

As of last night, I committed the code that actually checks for a pci
rom.  If it finds one, it uses those values (base address, length) to
mmap the bios for copy.  If it doesn't find a pci rom, (most IGDs
(intel, via, sis) it just uses the 0xc0000 mapping as it did before if
it is i386 or amd64.  Otherwise, bios reading just fails.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD