jail: external and localhost distinction

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 6 14:47:59 PST 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> Thank you for clarification, now I see this is actually expected behaviour
> :)
>
> Would then starting second jail with the same root and, say, 127.10.0.1 as
> an address be a workaround?

There's no technical reason you can't have more than one jail using the same
file system root, and even IP -- you'll find that ps(1) in one jail can't see
processes in the other (and can't signal, etc) but otherwise works as
expected.  Of course, any given process has to be a member of at most one of
the two.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge